Monday, March 12, 2007

CHRIST: THE KING AND THE KINGDOM

"Regnum Dei Deus est" ("The Kingdom of God is God") - Origen.

More and more every year I realize that God's desire for us is exeedingly simple; too simple, indeed, for muddy-minded and convoluted humans like us. We turn every little thing, including religion, into a debate or a competition or a test of worth. But what I am continually learning (being taught is more appropriate, really) is that to God, religion is very simple. If I could sum up the entire duty and responsibiliy of the individual in regards to relationship with God, it would not be a statement at all, but rather a question. My question for you is: "Do you just want to be with Jesus?" Do you simply want to walk beside Him, live with Him, learn from Him, spend time with Him? Do you want to be with Jesus?
It's really too bad, because in many cases, my answer to these questions is, "no." No, I want someone to give me what I ask for, someone to take away my guilty feelings, some sense of security in the grand scheme of the world. I want a friend who will love me, accept me and support me, but not one who will challenge me or convict me; not a friend who will ask me to change behaiviors that are wrong. I have a feeling that I am not alone in my misplaced devotion here.
If you really want to know what the Kingdom of God is like; if you really, honestly want to know what it is like to live in the Kingdom of God, then spend time with Jesus. Look at Him and you will see the Kingdom. If the Kingdom of God is the place where God's effective will is carried out, then Jesus IS the Kingdom of God. His central message, as well as His central prayer was, "Father, your Kingdom come. Your will be done." Walk beside Jesus and walk like Him, and you will find the Kingdom of God is closer than you think. Pretty soon, you will start to discover it within yourself.
"In the presence of Jesus is found the presence of the kingdom. Just as in Jewish doctrine, the Torah [law] didn't so much come from heaven as the Torah is itself heaven. In the same way in Christian doctrine, Jesus is Himelf the kingdom. Just as Jesus is the One who Was, and Is, and Is to Come, so the kingdom has come, is coming, and is now here. The kingdom of God is the presence of Jesus." - Leonard Sweet, "The Three Hardest Words".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home